Monday, April 8, 2013

I've got the blahs

I've been feeling rather off for the past week but just attributed it to a change in careers. I finally left Health Care and am writing full time. YEA! Time to party! Or so I thought.
It turns out that I'm getting older and can't just transition from a night shift to day shift like I originally thought. I'm exhausted and haven't figured out why. Working at home at night isn't working either because Mr. Man sleeps at night, works during the day, and thinks that he needs to be entertained in the evening.
My doc says this is normal for a person who worked the crazy schedule I had for so long, but I need to get past this - like yesterday. I have deadlines that must be met and hours to get in for my new writing job. I don't have time for a two-three hour nap in the afternoon like my body begs me for. I have books that need to be written and edited. I have things I want to get done that don't include sleep.
Sigh. So because my body is basically in a state of shock, I've got the blahs. I don't really have the energy to care much about anything, but I'm annoyed that I can't seem to accomplish anything either.
Anyone have a good remedy for kicking my butt into gear and getting over this drastic schedule change?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jean!

    I have the blahs this morning and I just "googled" "I've got the blahs" and you came up. It cracked me up. I soooo understand your transition issues. I am an RN who worked mostly 3-11 shifts and despite the fact that I moved into ambulatory surgery and had to be there at 0 dark thirty, I was never awake until noon! So the morning passed fast. However, you have to think. I was just doing what I always knew. Now I am 58 yrs, my "Mr. Man" is falling apart and needs spine surgery, and I am always the entertainer! He is left brain and I am right. I ride horses and do heavy work in the home. He can't lift a pound!

    Oh, plus I got "let go" for not giving enough availability at work while remodeling our master bath which I had to do much of myself to save money! I am the "man around the house". My back hurts, my feet hurt, ugh!

    Remedies......Due to the fact that I have osteoarthrits and have an RX for Vicodin which I don't abuse...I take one when I feel in pain and it also gives me energy. But you don't want to do that. Coffee, coffee, coffee. Scented candles as much as possible. Create a space for yourself that is off limits for followers who don't know what to do with themselves. It takes time to get your circadium rhythms adjusted. I got a 10,000 Lumen sunny light. It really helps for depression and changing schedules. You can get them on Amazon. I have one that has an alarm and music, and the light slowly gets brighter until I have to open my eyes. Use it when you write. You have to get the 10,000 Lumen one though. I talked to a Psychiatrist about it. Vit B6 helps too.

    I hope you are feeling better as your post was in April and now it's July. Good luck with your writing, and I wish you well with transition. It just takes time. Bot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bot~
    Thanks for the advice! I completely understand how you feel with being the man in the relationship! Sometimes I feel that way too. With Bry being gone so much, I have to take over different roles at home. Also when he is home, sometimes I feel like I'm more his mother than his wife. I think all wives feel this more often than we let on. :)
    I'm so glad you were able to run across this page! I hope things slow down for you a bit and you're able to find a way to relax and enjoy some of life! :)
    I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I have found candles that help relax, calm and inspire me, so that's helped. I'm a night owl. Always have been and probably always will be. I'm adjusting to the new schedule in life, some days are harder than others, but for the most part, I love it.
    I definitely LOVE being out of healthcare!
    Have you ever heard of Aleare (sp) medical? I know a few nurses that work there that are able to work from home and they love it. Something to check out if your interested. Take care and thanks for taking the time to say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete